Getting your pet spayed or neutered at the veterinarian can be costly. At the same time, you want to make sure that where you take your pet is safe and that they will get proper care.
There are a growing number of low-cost spay / neuter clinics around the U.S. These clinics typically do high volume spay / neuter which means this is all that they do. Their spay / neuter rates are typically under $100 per pet. Some are as low as $20 per pet. This is a huge savings – especially if you have multiple pets or if you are affiliated with a rescue group or do trap-neuter-return work.
There are low-cost spay / neuter clinics in most state – however they may be difficult to find. Because of their low cost, many do not have budgets for advertising or promotions. What is the best way to locate these clinics in your area?
- Contact a local pet rescue group. Many of them work with such clinics and may have a list of them in your area.
- See the Nooters Club® online directory. This directory contains HUNDREDS of low-cost spay neuter clinics around the U.S. and Canada. It also includes clinics that spay /neuter rabbits. Go to http://www.nootersclub.org/lowcostspayneuter.htm
- Contact your local shelter. Some run their own low-cost clinic or may know of one in the area.
- Do a Google search. Look for “low-cost spay neuter services” in your hometown. You may have to widen your search to your metro area or to your state.
- Ask your veterinarian. YES some vets will suggest other resources if you explain that you cannot afford their fees. A few even post low-cost spay / neuter services to their websites.